Monday, February 1, 2016

The Toe Is A No Go

Perhaps I shoulda warned him before doing it.

Maybe a little heads-up woulda been the appropriate thing to do?

I'm not sure what good toe poking etiquette entails.  In hind sight, initializing a toe-poking-protocol on a sleeping subject is probably not the proper procedure.

Yesterday morning around 6:57-ish, the house was still sleeping; well everyone, but me.  I was headed out for my morning run.  Joe's Dexcom was showing a 67 and diagonal-downing.  A check was warranted on the sleeping Joe.

I entered his room and readied the glucometer with the test strip.  While wielding the lancing device, I assessed the target situation.  Joe was dead asleep with both hands tucked under his head, making his finger tips unavailable.  I noted his toes, peeking out from under his blanket, were easily accessible.

Pry fingers from under his head...wake him up?

Poke toe...maybe he sleeps?

Fingers?

Toes?

Welp, I haven't tried to poke his toes since he was like 4.  Let's just say I tried to yesterday morning...and... he did not sleep through it and as his leg briskly recoiled, he might have said something like "for the love of all that is good and holy..!" (but with different nouns and verbs).

I wanted him to sleep in.  He's growing.  He's tired.  He was up late the previous night.  He's up, due to diabetes nonsense, more often than not these days.  Note to self:  poking his toes will not help him sleep in.

I then poked the kinda-awake-and-kinda-annoyed-Joe's finger. A 99 was obtained.  The basal rate was decreased by 40% x 1 hour.  I ran.  Once I arrived home, a smooth 122 graced the Dexcom screen.

Waking Joe, via the toe, while simply trying to manage the day-in-the-life.

2 comments:

katy said...

Catch a tiger by the toe, if he hollers, let him go!

Joanne said...

We only check toes at night... she sleeps right through it!