Saturday, January 30, 2010

BIRTHDAY PARTYS

Up at 4am...I was making myself some coffee and I looked on the counter and there was an invitation Joe had just received to a friend's birthday party...my mind went back over all the birthday parties I have attended with Joe over the years...wondering when will he be going to his first birthday party without me, his portable pancreas, in tow...

Lucky for Joe, he is a fairly likable character...and he seems to be invited to quite a few parties...this is great for him...but more like a nightmare for me...haha. Not only do I get to deal with the aftermath of high or low blood sugars following the onslaught of pizza, cake, ice cream, candy, etc that these parties serve, but I get to experience the whole "party"...with 4 year olds, 5 year olds, 6 year olds...usually boys! One party had ten 5 year old boys in an 800 square foot house...where there were enough toy guns to arm each young boy...it does not take much imagination to picture the chaos.

The funny thing is...I don't think this is too far off anymore...Joe going to a birthday party on his own. I am pondering the possibility. He is able to check his own blood sugar, he uses his pump to give himself insulin and he can read nutrition labels and is starting to carb count other foods as well. Kinda sad to think that I will be missing out on his friends birthday celebrations in the near future...

No comments: